Engr. (Prof.) Joshua Ifeanyichukwu Ume
Engr. (Prof.) Joshua Ifeanyichukwu Ume attended the Colliery Comprehensive School, Ngwo, near Enugu, where he earned the WAEC School Certificate in Division one distinction in 1971. On completion of his Higher School Certificate programme at Dennis Memorial Grammar School, Onitsha in 1972, he proceeded to the University of Lagos, where he bagged a first class degree in chemical engineering in 1978. He capped it up with a master’s degree, also in chemical engineering, from the same institution in 1982. He later proceeded to the Pennsylvania State University, University park, USA, from where he earned a Ph.D. in Fuel Science in 1994.
He served in various capacities as Senior Lecturer in chemical engineering at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu, as well as a consultant to the Nigerian Coal Corporation, Enugu. He had also served as external examiner in various universities and polytechnics in the country. He has travelled widely across the globe.
He was a member of the Presidential Technical Committee on Coal Development in Nigeria between June and December 2003. He was also a member of Presidential Visitation Panel to Federal College of Education (Special), Oyo between June and September 2004. He was the Director of Materials and Energy with Projects Development Institute, Enugu and later the Director, Nuclear Power Plant Development with Nigeria Atomic Energy Commission, Abuja, Nigeria. He is presently a Professor of Chemical Engineering at Caritas University, Enugu, and a Visiting Professor at Coal City University, Enugu, Nigeria. He earned special awards and membership of societies as enunciated below.
Special Awards/Membership Of Professional Societies
- 2013 - Member/Secretary of Editorial Board, Journal of Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers
- 2010 - Fellow of Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers
- 2007 - Presidential Merit Award, Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers
- 2007 - Registration with Council of Registered Engineers of Nigeria (COREN)
- 2007 - Member of Nigerian Society of Engineers
- 2004 - Special Adviser to the International First Aid Society (An Affiliate of the United Nations)
- 2003-2007 - Chairman, Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers (Anambra/Ebonyi/Enugu Chapter)
- Member of Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers
- 1978 - West African Portland Cement Prize for Best Final Year Student in Chemical Engineering University of Lagos, Lagos
- 1975-1976 - Gulf Oil Scholarship/Merit Award and National Award, University of Lagos.